Sunday, September 25, 2011

Boxer (12x16)


One day our model was a female boxer with wonderful skin tones and very developed musculature. This was a pose we all painted from photos after a morning of painting fast poses from life. The challenge was to get the sense of action. I think my painting turned out well.

I have always found boxing, especially female boxing, disquieting. While the sport displays much to be admired (coordination, grace of movement, strength, vitality, the beauty of honed musculature) it seems that the violence speaks of a failure of society. Years ago I volunteered in the female secure unit of a juvenile detention facility, and I heard horrible stories of abuse and retaliation. While I understand and admire the efforts needed to prepare for self-defense, I feel a sadness at its necessity.










No comments:

Post a Comment